Vhdx auto-shrink on attach or detach
It would be really handy if the fslogix agent would be able to perform a shrink or cleanup action on the container, either during logon or log off to help keep vhdx's to as small as possible.
We are considering options to accomplish this. Will evaluate best course of action after addressing redirection.xml deleting existing content from VHD.
PG please consider this, as will help CSS with ticket volumes and frustrated customers!
Any hope for this feature making it this year? Or anything on timelines?
Please can you add the ability to shrink VHDXs:
It would be so helpful if FSlogix automatically shrank the VHD. I've heard this has been on the cards for some time. Can't believe it's that difficult to achieve .
@David Ott, Somehow I missed your reply. Thank you on thinking about solutinos to our issue. Excluding onedrive data using the grouppolicy is not really a viable option as I just tested.
This is the impact on using the suggestion:
- Onedrive configuration is not stored and will be (re)configured every logon, this takes up to 30 additional seconds to make onedrive available
- Sharepoint online sites synced/connected to be used in windows explorer are removed next logon
- Growth due to onedrive of fslogix is eliminated (this is a positive impact)
Please i would really love to see below features:
1. FSlogix automatically shrinking the VHD. May be at logoff or so. With flexibilities/options for multiple use cases.
2. FSlogix to have functionality to make use of multiple profile shares so as an administration can add more shares as they go.
3. With use of multiple profile shares, have some sort of load balancing to split the load across the shares.
4. Option that may warn of over provisioning of user profiles on a single storage share. (Since you can define the max size of a disk, hence FSlogix can calculate the size of profile share and warn if an Admin over provisions), and it can suggest to either stop or introduce new profile share.
David Ott commented
I wrote a powershell application that can compact vhd(x) files. You can find it here http://www.citrixirc.com/?p=1052
There are also various scripts available to do the same.
Though having FSL compact the vhd(x) files at logon/logoff would be nice... as long as it doesn't delay anything for the users.
David Ott commented
If the right option is set on the redirections it should not copy the redirected data. Option "0".
This is especially usefull when users use the "free up space" in the OneDrive client.
In 1909 there should be a cloud hydration feature (no experience with this feature yet) I think shrinkage of the vhdx is expected.